Home » Z-Uncategorized Carrot Sticks » BinderCon Live in Sandpoint Idaho!

BinderCon Live in Sandpoint Idaho!

CLIENTS & PATRONS

unnamedFor the first time ever, thanks to the generosity of sponsors at The Harnisch Foundation, BinderCon will be livestreaming select panels from BinderCon NYC. Tune in at home, or join organizers at one of several meet up parties around the world. You can RSVP today for the parties in San Francisco, Portland, OR, and Sandpoint, ID, and be sure to follow BinderCon on Facebook for more details in the coming days about parties in DC, Madrid, Melbourne, Israel, Seattle, and Los Angeles! If you want to organize a meetup in your own town or city, or have questions about a BinderCon event,  send Leigh an email!

EVENT IN SANDPOINT, IDAHO

Saturday, November 7 at 4:00pm – 7:30pm

East Bonner County Library District • 1407 Cedar St, Sandpoint, Idaho 83864

Meetup with other women writers and writing fans, watch inspiring videos of women writing motherhood and navigating complex journalistic beats, and learn more about BinderCon, the conference for women and gender non-conforming writers! Admission is free. This event is organized by Charli Mills and made possible with the generous support of the East Bonner County Library, Lost Horse Press, and Carrot Ranch Communications.

For more on Lost Horse Press visit: http://www.losthorsepress.org/

And check out Carrot Ranch, well, here, you are at Carrot Ranch!

SCHEDULE:
4:00pm – Introducing BinderCon

4:15pm – Viewing of panel discussion “Moms Who Write; Writers Who Mom”

Francesca Beauman (writer, How to Wear White, and television host, Show Me the Funny), Julie Schwietert Collazo (journalist), Sara Lamm (documentary filmmaker, Birth Story: Ina May Gaskin and Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soapbox), Shelley Meals (writer and producer, Witches of East End), Jordan Rosenfeld (novelist, Forged in Grace and Night Oracle), and Monona Wali (author, My Blue Skin Lover, and documentary filmmaker, Maria’s Story)

Will I still be able to write if I have kids? Can I still do hard-hitting, high-stakes journalism with children in tow? How do I manage my time now that little people are in the picture? How can I support three kids on a writer’s income if I’m the sole or main breadwinner? Is there such a thing as balance? What does it mean to have it all? Is that even possible? The participants on this panel have confronted–and resolved–all of these questions, negotiating (and renegotiating) both their personal and professional identities so that work and family are equally important parts of a full, rich life. We’ll talk about our personal decisions and stories, with a focus on the day-to-day “How do I do all of this (especially now that I’m persistently sleep-deprived)?” nuts and bolts practicalities of being a mom who writes and a writer who moms

5:30pm – Q&A

6:00pm – Viewing of panel discussion “Cultivating–and Owning–a Complex Beat”

Amy DePaul (award-winning health journalist), Erika Hayasaki (author, The Death Class: A True Story About Life), Alyson Martin (co-author of A New Leaf: The End of Cannabis Prohibition), Nushin Rashidian (journalist, author, Co-founder, Cannabis Wire)

Journalists who cover complex and often controversial topics such as cannabis, death, and public health in disadvantaged communities speak candidly about how they tell stories through different mediums, some familiar–article, book, photo–and others involving newer technologies, such as interactive projects and games.

7:15 – Q&A

BinderCon Flyer

Congratulations, Charli, on getting this great event going in your locality. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

2. jeanne229 says:

Looks like a fabulous panel. My mind turns to Virginia Woolf. How pleased she would be to see how far women have come since she wrote
    A Room of One’s Own in 1929. Though the need for this panel shows how much work there still is to be done. Great work putting this together in your community. Very inspiring!

I like that thought, Jeanne! This group of organizers sees first-hand the glass ceilings and disadvantages women face. With gender non-conformists being a vulnerable group, it’s a lovely extension to encourage the gender identity of “woman” as a whole. Stronger together. It’s professional and for career-minded writers. I’m so thrilled to get to share their resources in my rural community! Thanks for your encouragement!

3. Sacha Black says:

ooh the mom one sounds amazing, wish I could tune in – I am just off to bed now though 😦 let me know if you get the magical 64million dollar answer as to how on earth one does write and be a mom!

Here’s the magical formula (and you can deposit 64 million in my account…hee, hee…): never will your energy be so sharp as when you are parenting. If you can tune into that, you will grow red bloomers and a cape. I know you think I’m crazy, sleep deprived as you likely are, worn out from toddler-chasing but you are a crazy-energized being when you are a Mom! Tap that energy!

4. Great initiative. If it is live streaming could I get it here? Mind you I might be asleep or find I tune in on the wrong day but what a great way to communicate with other writers.

5. Sherri says:

Can’t wait to hear how it all goes Charli, maybe the UK next! This is a fantastic opportunity, so proud of all you have achieved to make this possible in your community 🙂

6. Looking forward to 1. hearing how this goes and 2. tuning in (if I can). 🙂

What everyone else has said! It sure sounds exciting! I look forward to reports!