Home » #FFRODEO » Rodeo Fest

Rodeo Fest

Support Carrot Ranch Literary Community

1+208-627-6056

Thank you to everyone who joined us for October Fest! It was a wagon-load of fun! If you haven’t yet liked our FB page, give it a like and invite others. It’s where I typically post individual 99-word stories, so think of potential readers, too.  FB: https://www.facebook.com/pg/CarrotRanch/.

Comments were entered in a Random Number Generator for such prizes as Books by the Rough Writers, Endangered Species Chocolate, and Lake Superior rocks! Winners announced at each segment.

LIVE READING: 10 AM

It’s a great honor to welcome the newest Rough Writers to the Congress:

• D. Avery, USA
  • Kerry E. B. Black, USA
  • Robbie Cheadle, S. Africa
  • Bill Engleson, Canada
  • Liz Husebye Hartmann, USA
  • Deborah Lee, USA
  • Lisa Listwa, USA
  • Elliott Lyngreen
  • Joe Owens, USA
  • Reena Saxena, India

Thank you for everyone who began tuning in and sharing in the wee hours. Especially those who found the first live reading! From comments on FB and here, the following have won from a random drawing:

• Pistachio (Dog Biscuit and Caffeine for the writer he handles)
  • Kim Blades (a choice of any Book by the Rough Writers)
  • Lisa Listwa (Dark Chocolate with Cranberries & Almonds)
  • Joe Owens (a choice of any Book by the Rough Writers)
  • Rebecca Glaessner (Lake Superior Rocks!)

From the First Live Reading (or go to Facebook.com/Carrot Ranch and look for Videos)

LIVE READING: 2 PM

Welcome back! I’d like to announce the winners from last live reading:

1. Alexis Donkin (a choice of any Book by the Rough Writers)
  2. Julia Harney Stamps (a choice of any Book by the Rough Writers)
  3. Irene Waters (raw Lake Superior agate)
  4. Kate Spencer (Dark Chocolate with Caramel & Sea Sat)
  5. Susan Zutautas (Lake Superior Rocks!)

As promised, here are tips for writers who plan to enter the upcoming Flash Fiction Rodeo contests:

1. Read directions carefully.
  2. Contact us anytime for clarifications using the form at carrotranch.com/charlimills/contact/
  3. All times are EST. That means NYC is the same as Ranch Time.
  4. Contests open at midnight on each scheduled T or TH
  5. Note the deadlines, time and how to respond.
  6. You can take the challenge by responding in the comments to each contest post.
  7. Plot or pants, but definitely polish!
  8. Note the winner announcement dates. It’s like a progressive reveal Tuesdays Nov-Dec.

From the Second Live Reading (or go to Facebook.com/CarrotRanch and look for Videos)

LIVE READING: 6 PM

Thank you for joining us today! Our final winners are:

• Allison Mills (a choice of any Book by the Rough Writers)
  • Diana Wenzle (a choice of any Book by the Rough Writers)
  • Winchester Writes (Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt & Almonds)
  • Sherri Matthews (Lake Superior agate)
  • Ruchira Khanna (Lake Superior Rocks!)

From the Final Live Reading (or go to Facebook.com/Carrot Ranch and look for Videos)

And for our cover reveal, I’m proud to present the work of Ann Rauvola o represent the excellent writing of The Congress of Rough Writers:

NEXT UP:

1. Hello. Looking forward to participating in Flash Fiction Rodeo for the first time. It will be the middle of the night in South Africa at 6pm EST, but will try and stay awake so I don’t miss it. Got your link and info from Robbie Cheadle, who is one of my favourite bloggers. Kim

That’s fantastic, Kim! The contests might launch at opposite hours to you, but they will be up long enough for everyone to participate no matter the time zone. We have exciting news about Robbie tomorrow on the first live recording!

2. Solveig says:

I am not sure that I will be awake at midnight 🙂 I am already going to come home way too late in the day

3. Yay! I’m trying my best to watch for posts and to participate. Super exciting times Charli. I hope the Rodeo runs just as you planned.

4. cam8510 says:

This Is exciting. I’m hoping to watch the 6pm live reading. I’m also looking forward to the writing challenges. Nice work on the Rodeo, Charli.

Morning y’all. Looking good from a sunny and crisp south London

6. rogershipp says:

Good morning to all. Looking forward to a new day and a new season with the new Rodeo Writers. I will be tuning in for the 6 pm live readings. I have a break at the 2 pm time, but a break in teaching is not always a break.

What a grand day for a Round-Up!

Good morning, Roger! I’m glad you can take aim at the 6 pm reading. I understand about those non break breaks. I thank you for being a teacher and leading up the next generation of writers. Without teachers, I suspect there would not be writing Rodeos!

7. October 3, Day 1. Congratulations, Charli. I’m off to work. Usually back after six. As a non-facebooker it doesn’t matter much, but when I get back I am sure this budding page will have sprouted and grown phenomenally.
    Hope to see a good turnout for the first rodeo event on Thursday.
    Yeehaw, Norah!

Good morning, D.! Another teacher I thank for leading the next generation. Your students will probably be better informed as to what time it actually is around the world! Catch you later today! Yes, I’m hoping this will all blossom by this evening! Thanks!

And the waters have broken, the rodeo is about to go live! Awesome work, Charli. I won’t make it to a live recording in the morning – a busy day ahead for me, but I’ll be sure to check back here to hear and read. Best wishes. I know you will be superb!

It’s all a-flowing now, Norah! You have a wonderful and productive day! The readings will become record, so I hope to do everyone’s work justice in the readings! Thank you!

Thanks, Charli. I did make it in to your 6 pm (my 8 am) reading. You did a fantastic job reading the selection of stories (including one of mine – thank you, I’m really chuffed). The anthology cover looks amazing and I look forward to catching up on the other readings as time permits. Best wishes.

Thanks for joining in, Norah! I loved reading your story and that of other writers, too. It made me realize how much I missed the open mic nights in Idaho.

9. julespaige says:

I’ll be bobbin in like the birds at my feeder kind of erratic.
    As for those prizes…how bout one of each 🙂 they all sound great!

Good luck to everyone from where ever in the world of our big blue marble that you might be from!

Cheers, Jules

10. Hi. How do I ‘tune in’ to the first live recording? It must have started by now.

11. susanzutautas says:

Heading over to Facebook right now ….. almost 10 ….. so excited 🙂

12. I’m here! Facebook open, ready, and waiting!

13. Joe Owens says:

I am not seeing anything, where am I missing it/

14. julespaige says:

I think for us in the ‘east’… the hour may be 11am since there is a one hour time difference. But I’m not on FB so I’ll have to wait to read the post here.

I’ll be looking for the Rodeo contest after I get back from a morning errand.

Again – good luck all!

• julespaige says:

Charli – I sent you an email about General Settings (on the tail of some other email) about changing your time. I’ll post it here so maybe it can help others…

There is a way to reset the time on WP for your posts to appear in your area for the time you are at.
      My time (in the General Settings section at WP) is set at UTC-5 . I’m going to guess you since you are an hour behind (or is it ahead? that you’ll want to change that to UTC-4 or UTC-6… so you see I’m confused too. But either way you’ll be closer to what you want than off by four hours. I hope that helps.

15. The readings, drawings, and all the other goodies sound like a great Rodeo. I’ll try to listen to the readings on FB but I’m not a techie by any stretch so I’ll give it a go. Going to be a busy, wonderful, exciting month! 🙂

16. […] I belong to a vibrant community of writers and I would like to share and invite you to participate in anyway that you’d like to: Carrot Ranch Rodeo Fest […]

17. […] I belong to a vibrant community of writers and I would like to share and invite you to participate in anyway that you’d like to: Carrot Ranch Rodeo Fest […]

18. […] I belong to a vibrant community of writers and I would like to share and invite you to participate in anyway that you’d like to: Carrot Ranch Rodeo Fest […]

19. […] fiction prompts are taking a break in the barn for the time being as we kick off this month’s Flash Fiction Rodeo over at the […]

20. Ptweh!! That is supposed to be a gun shot. And there off! I dont wanna be too loud with that =] Great Show! It rocked. Fortunately I am on tape delay. but checking them out. I have never gone fb live. Except once by accident.

Isn’t that everyone’s worst nightmare — to go live on a social media platform and not know how to disconnect? Hmm, future prompt! Thanks, Elliott! Ptweh! We’re off…!

• Im not really sure how rodeos begin. But for some reason i imagined a gun shot. With what is going on i second thought it. But alas, im sure it was all sorts of emotions. Going to check out the other live casts. It is different trying to follow the stories as opposed to reading them. Well done from what i seen. Hmm. Disconnect. Sounds like a prompt to me! !

Rodeos begin with a parade led by the queens and flags. Then the national anthem. The wild mustang race definitely begins with the crack of a gun. Disconnect is a good prompt!

• If those are Ford Mustangs I am in!! I got to see one of these rodeos You speak of..a great show. Can I wear tennis shoes?? thanks for the info. oh And I really dig the cover. I dew like it. Gotta look candid in a photo for that as well =] Congratulations. I know its been a long time coming and hard work’ll make ya walk a little taller. When it is finished.

Put on your tennis shoes and rev your Ford mustang, Elliott! Thanks, I’m glad you like the cover, too!

21. Hi Charli! London calling here…or rather Somerset…but I can’t hear you 😦 Tried the usual settings etc. but can’t get the live feed to work properly. Will return for your 6pm reading (11pm my time, 5 hours ahead right, think you’re on Eastern time?), hoping Mike can get this thing to work so I can hear you by then! 6pm already here and cheering you on with a glass of wine to kick the party off this side of the Shining Sea wishing you all the very best with today’s events. Great to meet the newest Rough Writers and congrats to the prize winners from this morning. Exciting!!! ❤

Hi Somerset! Honk! Honk! I can hear you cheering across the pond. Can you open the video recording previously. Er, maybe you don’t have a big enough dongle…That joke is never going to go away! 😀 ❤

• Honk Honk back to you Charli! I did get all the videos to open so watched them all and loved every one of them! You’re a natural in front of the camera my friend! My dongle saved me…ha! And no, it isn’t going away any time soon!!! 😀 ❤ 😀

Ha, ha! I’m so glad your dongle helps you out! May it hang around for a long time to come! Thanks for watching! ❤ ❤ ❤

22. susanzutautas says:

Loved the 2pm show 🙂 Congrats to all the winners.!

23. Kate says:

Wow! This Rodeo was kicked off with a hoot and holler and going strong! While I haven’t been able to join the live readings, I am trying to catch up with them on Facebook. Great job Charli and everyone involved in the organization of the Rodeo! Welcome to the new Rough Writers and congratulations the prize winners from this morning. Good luck everyone.

24. julespaige says:

It’s after 3pm eastern time and the first contest hasn’t appeared yet…
    But I’m not giving up!

It’s gotta appear sometime today don’t it? 🙂

25. julespaige says:

I tried to listen to the ‘link’ but there wasn’t any sound. I liked all those rock on the sill… 😉

26. julespaige says:

Oh…there I go not reading the post will be up October 5th…my bad.
    I just was excited and thought that since everything else was happening that was going ‘live’ too….

You’d think that after 4pm I’d be awake by now! Zzzzz!

27. julespaige says:

Nope can’t get the FB recordings. Anyway to also transfer them to say a U-tube video?

28. Great stuff! Sending love from CA!

29. susanzutautas says:

What a fun day this was. I’m so glad that I was able to watch all 3 live videos!

30. floridaborne says:

Ok Corral. Now what? Think you don’t know me? Think again.

31. I will pop in and share, Charli. Evenings are difficult for me because of my children who I need to do homework with and read with. I am looking forward to seeing Norah’s challenge post today.

What a fabulous start! Well done, Charli, and congratulations to the prize winners and to everyone who got to join in live. I was able to join in to the third live reading. How awesome to know that I was part of an International Congress all doing the same thing at the same time, at different times. 🙂
    The anthology looks great and I am very proud to be a part of it. Congratulations to all the other Rough Writers too. What a great gang. Welcome to all the new members. I’m sure you’ll enjoy being a Rough Writer. Charli is a great leader.

Thank you for all your support, Norah! This amazement, I share with you: “How awesome to know that I was part of an International Congress all doing the same thing at the same time, at different times.” It is awesome! Thank you for welcoming our newest Rough Writers, too!