Home » #FFRODEO » Dialog Unbridled at the Rodeo

Dialog Unbridled at the Rodeo

Sponsor Ads Available!

Carrot Ranch welcomes back bull-writer, Geoff Le Pard, as one of the Rodeo Leaders for the upcoming flash fiction contests in October. It’s only fair he goes out of the chute first. Geoff’s to blame/thank for having a contest season at the Ranch in the first place.

If you haven’t caught up on his latest, Geoff has penned another book, Apprenticed to My Mother. It’s a moving tribute full of insight and human relationships. When I first read Geoff’s writing, he was a greenhorn blogger, but his post about his parents captivated me the most. Then, there’s his humor that comes in 50 shades, not to mention his mastery of dialog.

And this ain’t his first rodeo.

In September, we will be qualifying five writers to compete in the TUFFest Ride which starts October 1. Check out full details and dates for 24-hour prompted free-writes. After the TUFFest ride is out the gates with five writers competing every Monday, you’ll have a chance to compete in the five Flash Fiction Rodeo events.

On October 3, Geoff Le Pard leads the pack. I’ll let him explain below.

RODEO #1: DIALOG
Contest runs October 3-10
By Geoff Le Pard, Rodeo Leader

Writers are notorious people watchers. It’s a small miracle we don’t get done for stalking more often. Part of that idea-thieving we do involves listening to what people say – phrases, the modes of speech, dialect, etc. People convey ideas and feelings with words. We can learn a lot about them, such as where they are from, their education and so on. Conversations include accents and tone. We can assess mood from tone: anger, joy, frustration. When we write, unless we read what we write to our audience, our words must convey all those things.

We describe through setting, body language, and context. But strip that away and what do you have? Dialogue. Words shared between our characters. Flat, atonal words, yet capable of revelations about character and mood, even without the padding. That’s what I want. Just dialogue. No descriptions. No ‘he snarled,’ or ‘she cried.’ Let the dialogue tell me a story with the emotion shared by those words.

Do you want to tell me the names of the speakers? ‘How are you, Jon?’ ‘I’m not too bad, thanks, Colin.’ That’s how it happens in real life.

In one way it’s easy – ‘You’re crying!’ But you can achieve that in any number of ways. ‘Something in your eye?’ ‘Stop snivelling.’ ‘You ok?’

And remember those crucial pauses. Pinter was right: silences tell us a bundle. People tail off. I want ellipses. Ellipses? Those three dots … that connote the lost thread. People also interrupt. That little m-dash — is a critical dialogue tool for a writer.

But I’m not hung up on punctuation. Use ‘…’ or “…” as you prefer. If you have other ways to show those tails off etc., go for it.

And don’t forget in real life we don’t answer every question we’re asked. Not answering can tell us so much. ‘How’s Dad?’ ‘Tea?’

People are sloppy. We slur words together. ‘Wadyamean?’ If it’s coherent and fits the context, then I’m good. But please, don’t push your luck. ‘Hijonhowareyoudidyouseemyemail?’ It’s 99 words which are plenty if you’re wise.

Use dialect but use English. Slang’s great too. Swear if you want. People do. Make it real. Make me hear that conversation.

Here’s an example (99-words):

‘Hello, Dad. You ok?’

‘Excuse me…’

‘They feeding you?’’

‘Excuse me…’

‘Yes?’

‘’That’s a tortoise. You said “Dad”.’

‘So?’

‘I wondered. Is he… is it a he?’

‘Of course. That’s a she. Barbara. Her shell curves under her ovipositor.’

‘Goodness, is that even a word? Ha, sorry, you’re an expert. It’s just his name, isn’t it? Because he’s what? The oldest tortoise? Or do you breed them? That would be cool too. I’m wittering, aren’t I?’

‘Yes. I’m rather busy.’

‘Yes, sorry. Bye.’

‘Has she gone, son?’

‘Yes, Dad.’

‘Thank goodness. Any whisky?’

‘In the drinking trough.’

‘Good lad.’

My Judges are (TADA) Esther Chilton and Chelsea Owens. Tough but fair is, I think, an apt descriptor of them both.

Esther has always loved words and writing but started out working with figures in a bank. She was on an accelerated training programme and studying banking exams, which meant she didn’t have time for writing, so it wasn’t long before it was a thing of the past – or so she thought. Her love affair with writing ignited again when she had an accident and seriously injured her back. It meant she could no longer carry out her job working in the bank and it led her back to writing, which has now become a daily part of her life.

Winner of Writing Magazine, Writers’ News, and several other writing competitions and awards, Esther has also had the privilege of judging writing competitions.

Esther loves writing, but equally enjoys helping others, which she achieves in her role as tutor for The Writers Bureau. In addition to tutoring, she works as a freelance copyeditor offering an editing, guidance and advice service for authors and writers. She’s edited novels, non-fiction books, articles and short stories. You can find out more about it here.

Chelsea began her writing career at the age of four, composing lengthy essays such as “The Alphabet” and “My Favrit Foods.” Her composition and sarcasm have only grown since, earning her the deference and respect of nearly no one outside her immediate circle of acquaintances.

Her works have appeared in electronic messages to teachers, in the comments of social media posts, and on the backside of napkins slipped into her children’s lunches. She also almost won the chance to be considered in mentioning her story in the list of submissions for a few online contests.

When not cleaning (an infuriatingly large amount of the time), eating, sleeping, parenting, driving, reading her blog feed, budgeting, and cooking; Chelsea breathes in and sometimes out again. She also writes daily on her blog: chelseaannowens.com.

🐎🐎🐎

Rules and prompt revealed October 3, 2018, at 12:00 a.m. (EST). Set your watches to New York City. You will have until October 10, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. (EST) to complete the Dialog contest. Geoff, Chelsea, and Esther will announce the prize winner plus second and third place on November 9. Carrot Ranch will post a collection of qualifying entries.

1. syncwithdeep says:

That was an insight to writing dialogs charli.. I had always thought dialogs would bore the reader. Something new i learnt today.. Do we need to submit a story before oct 3rd? I am interested to explore and learn something new here.

“Dialogue. Really Geoff?”

“No, Tie Dye a log. It’s a whole different schtick.”

“Oh, pardon me, you mean tie dye a stick.”

“Would that you could , lad.”

“Got it. Tie dye a wooden stick.”

“Finally…now go fetch it.”

“Bark, Geoff.”

“Good boy.”

3. abhiray59 says:

Great! Look forward to participate.

4. Ritu says:

How exciting!
    I do love His Geoffleship and his dialogue pieces!

5. I’m so excited to be part of this and I can’t wait to read the stories 🙂

“How do you spell dialogue?”
    “Who’s asking?”
    “I’m asking. Can’t you hear me?”
    “That’s the problem, see! I can read you, but I can’t hear you.”
    “Why do you need to hear me if you can read?”
    “So I can answer your question.”
    “But you read my question.”
    “Yup, but I didn’t hear it.”
    “Isn’t there a voice you can switch on in your head?”
    “Not for this.”
    “Not for ‘How do you spell dialogue?’?”
    “You’ve got it.”
    “I don’t feel like I’ve got it. This is the most frustrating dialogue ever.”
    “Are you sure? What about a dialog?”

7. Phew, swearing allowed. Looking forward to your contest, Geoff!

8. “Pal, you think it kin be done, tellin’ tales with jist dialogue?”
    “What’re ya talkin’ ‘bout Kid?”
    “Talkin’ ‘bout Le Pard’s Rodeo challenge.”
    “More like a contest, Kid.”
    “Do tell.”
    “Zactly, Kid, zactly.”
    “I swear you sure are exasperatin’, Pal.”
    “Phewie, I do aspirate, an’ yep, yer aloud ta swear.”
    “Allowed, not aloud.”
    “Fer cryin’ out loud Kid, he’s gotta hear ya!”
    “I got nuthin’ ta say.”
    “Ain’t never stopped ya b’fore… What’re ya thinkin’ on now Kid?”
    “Thinkin’ on what swear word ta call you.”
    “Me?! Swear at Le Pard. Jeez, you sure are hard ta talk to.”

OK – I wasn’t quite sure where to go. But then another prompt popped up and … well I’m guessing this isn’t the entry part of your contest – but other folks have put there two cents in here so …
    (remember Icon doesn’t go to post, Title is post link)

“Forking Future”

“Mac! Wake up.”

“Go away”

“Mac! Really now we’ve got to go.”

“Let me sleep.”

“Can’t do that …HAL is coming”

“Would you just let me alone. Please.”

“You can’t sleep through this Mac.”

“Let me be a bear that hibernates. Go plotz.”

“I wish I could, but you know you’ve got to get moving. Our Uber is here.”

“But I don’t see a driver… what is that thing out there?”

“I told you… HAL, AI was coming didn’t I?”

“An electric horseless carriage is going to take us where we need to go?”

“Yes, I believe it is.”