Home » Saloon » Saddle Up Saloon; Bar None

Saddle Up Saloon; Bar None

Stories Published Weekly

“Shorty, I git goin’ where the prompt leads, but I ain’t ‘zactly comfterble bein’ led blindfolded by anyone, even you. Where ya takin’ us?”

“Pal, it’s sech a great surprise! Wait till ya see it!”

“Well, Shorty, how kin we see it if’n ya got us wearin’ our bandanas over our eyes?”

“Yer short on patience Kid. Okay, whoa. Stop. Lift yer blindfolds, both a ya.”

“Wow! A waterin’ hole! Yeehaw!”

“The Saddle Up Saloon? How long’s this been here?”

“It’s brand new!”

“This saloon is on the ranch?”

“Just over the line.”

“Over the line? Thought it were a free range ranch, unbounded.”

“It is indeed, Pal, but I figgered it might be best if this establishment be set back some, in case you an’ Kid go over the line. Give us all some elbow room.”

“Ya think Kid an’ me’s gonna be here all the time, bendin’ our elbows, Shorty?”

“Bendin’ ‘em, throwin’ ‘em, but mostly it’s gonna take elbow grease. This here’s fer you! A place fer ranchers ta unwind, socialize, take in a show… you an’ Kid kin run it on yer own! Come on in. Look aroun’. There’s a bar, reckon you’ll have Ornery Ernie workin’ thet. An’ there’s a stage, an’ a piano. There’s plenty a tables, an’ a kitchen in the back.”

“Aw, it’s real nice, Shorty, an’ I ‘preciate it, but kin we jist talk ‘bout the elefint in the room?”

“Pal, I don’t see no elifint. Jeez, you all feverish too, seein’ elefints, an’ I s’pose rabbits on roofs? Any ways. You an’ I done talked ourselves outta elifints on the ranch already. On account a, you know, the size a their—”

“Shush, Kid. I mean, Shorty, how kin we open a business at a time like this? How kin we be invitin’ folks inta a public place an’ serve ‘em food an’ drink?”

“Pal, I’m countin’ on ya both ta serve folks what they need, an’ ta offer ‘em a safe place ta go an’ relax an’ interact with one unuther.”

“Gosh Shorty…. Kid, ya think we kin handle thet?”

“Shucks yeah, Pal. Asides, we got ever’body else aroun’ here ta pitch in.”

“You two will manage ta manage this place. It’s open 24/7, with somethin’ served fresh ever Monday.”

“Well, thet’s finer an’ a waxed moustache on a mosquito, Shorty. So what’re we servin’ first?”

“That’s fer you ta serve an’ me ta find out. I gotta ride on, but afore I leave ya here ta figger things out I got one more thing fer you, Kid. Here. It’s a rooted cutting from the Poet Tree. You kin grow yer own Poet Tree out back a this place. An’ Pal, there’s an office space jist fer you, ‘cause I know you’ll wanna git away from Kid now an’ agin. Okay, see y’all next Monday at the Saddle Up Saloon’s debut.”

“Later, Shorty. Well, Kid? What’ll we do fer our debut?”

“De butt? Heehee.”

“Don’t be an ass, Kid. We gotta think on this. I mean, we could do all sorts a things. Innerviews, open mikes, dif’frent challenges, dispense advice…”

“Heck, since we’re fictional characters, I wunner if they’s other fictional characters out there that’d like ta be innerviwed. Give ‘em a forum ta air their side a their stories.”

“Yeah, let’s do thet. Let’s do all a thet an’ more. Heck, Kid, mebbe ya kin revive yer think tank. But fer now, if folks wanna leave their ideas in the comments, thet’d be hepful. If they’s any characters out there wantin’ ta be innerviewed up on the stage here at the Saddle Up Saloon, contact us, Pal & Kid at averydede.1@gmail.com .”

Pal & Kid are free ranging characters who live and work at Carrot Ranch. They never tuck tail, but their tales are corralled as Ranch Yarns at ShiftnShake. If asked, they will deny that they spill from the pen of D. Avery. Please let these yahoos know what you think, and stop in at the Saddle Up anytime for a virtual good time.

1. “Rabbits on roofs…” 😀 Are they runnin’ this here shindig live? Will the poet tree sapling be viable enough to host some d’verse-in’ in the shade?

2. What a wonderful idea! Having had my characters interviewed by a robot radio talk-show host, I’m sure they’d be up for this challenge.

3. “Well, Kid, it’s kinda quiet so far. Whyn’t ya go plant thet side-shoot poet tree in the back. I’ll go fetch Ornery Ernie, see if he’s innerested in tendin’ bar. Gotta admit, Kid, I’m a little nervous ‘bout what we jist opened up. Some a the folks thet come ‘roun here, you jist don’t know who er whut they’ll bring by. Elves, fairies an’ sech.”
    “Trolls?”
    “No trolls, they’s better an’ thet. But wouldn’t surprise me none ta see unicorns tied up at the rail out front ‘longside our hosses.”
    “That’s okay, Pal. Unicorns mean rainbows. We’ll take ‘em.”

We’re a unicorn friendly outfit, and I hear that those who live downstate from headquarters are called, “trolls” on account they live below the Mighty Mac Bridge. You’ll do good things!

4. Would rather have a rabbit on the roof than an elephant in the room. I’ve seen cow patties – can’t imagine the land mines an elephant would leave!

5. Reblogged this on ShiftnShake and commented:

The Saddle Up Saloon is open and serving one and all. Come say howdy ta Kid & Pal.

great idea; if I could Yee Haw in the comments I would… and interview my characters? What a splendid idea! Back outside to plant a poem seed…

7. Charli Mills says:

Congratulation on your new Monday digs! Got a nice turnout of curiosity seekers, and some takers to play along. Fun times coming! Danni was thinking she might want to speak about her horse Blackjack and growing up on the migrant ranch trail in Nevada. She’ll be in touch as soon as they release Ike from jail.

What a great spot to stop when feeling thirsty. Bottoms up! (er, drinks, that is)

9. Ann Edall Robson says:

Thought I’d mosey in and see what all the hoopla was. I have to say, I am impressed that a saloon has been opened on the ranch! There’s nothing like barroom conversation to keep the patrons coming back for more. Pal and Kid are going to just fine in their new (ad)venture.

10. wallietheimp says:

Wallie is a great fan of Pal and Kid. 🙂 Through personal misadventure and loss, he’s not been in his own wood for a little while, but he’s starting to sniff the fresh air again.

That being said, Wallie and I always enjoy these two characters. A very mischievous and humorous pair! Would love to see them on any crazy adventure.

As the Ranches Poet Lariat I’m thrilled to have another location to inspire me! I can’t wait for that Poet Tree to be in bloom and enjoy its shade!

I’ve been a tad distracted by some family goings on. But I’m glad to have another retreat to visit.

Here’s to The Saddle Up Saloon Bar None; Pal, Kid, Shorty and all who visit. ~Jules

12. susansleggs says:

Wow, a saloon. It’s widely believed military folks like to drink, but Michael and Tessa are pretty serious stuffed shirts compared to Kid, Pal, and Ernie. And they’re not known to be punny either. Maybe Michael could bring his guitar and sing a song or two. Wait, saloons attract all types so I’m thinking we can all hang out together cause we sure could use some fun right about now. See you soon.

13. “Pal, check this out.”

All well here, ah well I still worry my fingers.
    Worry my mind too, but spending time sending love.
    Do I put on gloves, not at the keyboard my love.
    To hold a pen the same, my mind is different.
    At least I still have them both to have and to hold.
    Have, hold, write, send prayers to all around the world.

“Why Kid, thet’s some a yer finest poetry yet. An’ timely.”

“It is fine, Pal, ‘cause this time it ain’t writ by me. It’s from eLPy.”

“Git thet gal a drink. On us.”

14. […] Shorty’s su’prise. Cain’t wait. Mebbe after the weekend we’ll see it.” […]

15. Kin someone git me some suds? Dying of thirst ovr here.

16. eLPy says:

Count me in for the fun and the less than fun (cleaning up and stuff). Looks like you’re off to a good start. My characters are a little shy at the moment but I think I’ll let them read over my shoulder. They’ll see it’s a safe space and warm up eventually. Cheers to all of our health!!!

17. […] the introduction of the Saddle Up Saloon Chelsea Owens and Anne Goodwin  have stridden through those swinging […]

Comments are closed.

Bill Engleson, Columnist

Ann Edall-Robson, Columnist

Susan Sleggs, Columnist

Norah Colvin, Columnist

Sherri Matthews, Columnist

Ruchira Khanna, Columnist

“A delightful story of a conventional Delhi girl who finds herself in the eye of a storm, ‘Bowled but Not Out’ brings out a whirlwind of emotions through its pages.”

Cee’s Listing