Home » Saloon » Saddle Up Saloon; Craftin’ Plans

Saddle Up Saloon; Craftin’ Plans

Stories Published Weekly

Saddle Up Saloon

“Pal, who’s that jist come inta the saloon?”

“Yer askin’ the wrong person, Kid. Jist shush… Howdy, Ma’am. Yer lookin’ a might lost.”

“Well, I might be lost. I’m not sure where I am. This place looks like the setting of Gunsmoke, except without the guns. Or the smoke.”

“Thet’s ‘zactly right Ma’am, none a thet here. Welcome ta the Saddle Up Saloon, where folks kin jist git away from all their present realities. Kin we git ya a drink? Whoa, Lit Kit’s already got one fer ya at the bar.”

“Yum. A Naughty Nurse. She made it just how I like it.”

“Now how’d she know… Who are you?”

“I’m the quiller.”

“”Not very subtle, are ya? ‘Fraid yer gonna have ta leave. No guns, no smoke, ‘an no killin’ in these parts.”

“Pal, she said quiller, not killer.”

“Oh. Thanks, Lit Kit. Uh, what’s a quiller?”

“She’s the artist.”

“Now, now. Jist ‘cause she’s a stranger ta us don’t make her odd. An’ even if it did, is she really the oddest? Aroun’ here?”

“Artist! She’s an artist Pal.”

“Yes, I’m an artist. Quilling- paper art- crescents, scrolls, loops, teardrops; creative abstractions.”

“This sounds familiar ta me. Why, yer Crescents & Coils! I was hopin’ ta meet you! I’m thinkin’ on havin’ a art show in the Saddle Up. Tell me more ‘bout this quillin’. What drew ya ta this art form?”

“I quill to keep my mind active and I enjoy producing beautiful artistic projects.  I can’t remember exactly how I got into quilling, but I was looking for a new and interesting craft to fill my days after retirement.”

“A new craft? What else do you do?”

“At the moment, I’m not doing any other crafts/art. But, I have enjoyed making flowers from gum paste, cake decorating, photography, basket making, needlepoint, knitting, crocheting, and baking, especially sour dough breads.”

“You are an artist! But ya settled on quilling…”

“I’ve seen some work by several remarkable paper artists and I wanted to see if I could accomplish something along that line. I’m not a painter, but paper art can produce something similar, but very different at the same time.”

image_2784ae5f-c0f1-4fb2-801b-21c9aa6dd312.img_1874“I’d say ya done accomplished somethin’! Like I said, I’d like fer visual artists ta come by next week an’ share some a their work an’ links ta their sites. I’d love ta feature yer work.”

“Thank you, and thank you for the drink, but really I was just looking for D. Avery.”

“D. Avery? The so-called writer?”

“Shush, Kid, be nice. Um, how d’ya know D. Avery?”

“D. Avery and I have been buddies for a long time. You don’t give someone shots in the belly twice a day without bonding.”

“Belly shots! She musta had hydroplania! Rabies! I knew her bite was worse than her bark.”

“Shush, Kid! It’s hydrophobia, an’ it souns like this quiller quelled it.”

“It wasn’t rabies, it was a blood clot. You see, we worked in the same school system for many years. I was the school nurse and her primary physician. Anyway, is she here?”

“No. She is not. Me an’ Pal run this place.”

“Unreal.”

“We prefer ‘fictional’. There’s a difference, ya know.”

“Easy, Kid. Sorry ’bout that. Kid’s always been techy ‘bout bein’ written ‘stead a writin’ an’ ‘bout bein’ a fictional character. Kinda takes it out on D. Avery.”

“Oh. Sorry Kid. I didn’t mean to cause trouble. I have found D. an exceptional person to have as a friend. Did you know retirement is just around the corner for her?”

“Oh great! Now she’ll be hangin’ roun’ the Ranch and the Saloon all the time. I won’t git a break.”

“No, Kid, I’m pretty sure she’ll be spending more time in her own neck of the woods. She likes to hang out with loons.”

“Like I said…”

“So, Kid, you want to have an art show here at the Saddle Up Saloon next week.”

“Yep.”

“Any other plans?”

“Well, was thinkin’ on gittin’ outdoors, havin’ like a poetry loop walkin’ tour. Mebbe at the end a the month.”

“So the saloon is available on the 22nd?”

“Reckon it is.”

“Would you consider letting me give a surprise retirement party for D. Avery here?”

“Not sure how that’d work. But yeah, I kin put my feelin’s aside fer that. What d’ya think Pal?”

“Why not? Mebbe we kin figger somethin’ out between now an’ then. Jist hope we kin keep it a s’prise is all.”

“Mums the word. So Pal, what was this all about? Is there a challenge or anythin’ this week?”

“Huh. Seems more like a exchange a ideas an’ upcomin’ events. Let’s see. We did meet a quiller artist from Crescents & Coils …. then we let it out that next week we’d like ta have more visual artists come by an’ share their work as a link in the comments. I know there’s a lotta folks who combine their literary art with visual art. Hopin’ mebbe folks’ll wanna be featured an’ will contact us via averydede.1@gmail.com . An’ we’re thinkin’ on how ta pull off a s’prise party fer D. Avery who’s ‘parently givin’ up her day job. Lookin’ down the road fer the Saloon, folks might wanna document a favorite walkin’ trail or destination a theirs ta post. Even further down the road, mebbe jist some sorta book talk.”

“Ya know we’re still total pantsers, right Pal?”

“Yep. But if we’re the pantsers here, the folks thet come by the saloon are our suspenders. They hold us up.”

“In a good way. I am wond’rin’ what other arts or crafts our readers an’ writers work at, aside from literary art. Wond’rin’ how thet might inneract with their writin’ an’ their creativity. Let’s carry on the conversation in the comments.

###

Kid and Pal are delighted that the artist Bonnie Sheila of Crescents and Coils found her way to the Saddle Up Saloon this week. An old hand at many things, Bonnie is new to blogging and has found it to be as easy as navigating stormy seas in thick fog. Go to https://crescentsandcoils.wordpress.com/home/ to see more of her work, including cakes and gumpaste. Bonnie Sheila has launched a fine craft of quilling, and while she hails from a faraway island, it is hoped she returns again to the safe harbors of Carrot Ranch and the Saddle Up Saloon.

image_51386724-ff8e-4627-99ec-936de7dffe95.img_1564 ###

If asked, Pal & Kid will deny that they spill from the pen of D. Avery. They claim to be free ranging characters who live and work at Carrot Ranch and now serve up something fresh every Monday at the Saddle Up Saloon. If you or your characters are interested in saddling up for a wild ride as a saloon guest, contact them via averydede.1@gmail.com .

1. Charli Mills says:

Hey! It’s the famous Nurse and Quiller, Bonnie Shiela! I love that quilling artistry with its colors and textures. Mighty fine art to bring to the Saloon. Not all of D. Avery’s friends are fictional or loons, it seems.

Kid and Pal, we need to set up the place for your writer’s retirement on the 22. Fix some fancy beans and bacon-wrapped carrots. Order a cask of cider, make sure it comes with a good story. Invite the boyfriend. oh, and the husband (I think they both have big feet). Let’s make it special!

It’s wonderful to meet up with Bonnie Sheila here at the Saloon. Her quilling is magnificent. I tried it once, a long time ago, but never did make it quite the art that Bonnie Sheila has. It’s nice to know how she and D. are connected from way back. Perhaps she’ll know some secret ways to surprise you-know-who.

3. Ann Edall Robson says:

Oh my goodness, Pal & Kid, you two have outdone yourselves. Bonnie Sheila’s work is eloquent! Yes, I meant to write eloquent and not elegant (it’s that too). Her artistry speaks to me like pages in a book.
    Photography is one of my main writing support systems. I love that I can capture moments others may never get to experience and then put them out there for everyone to enjoy.
    When I participate in the 99 Word challenge, usually my first thought after I read the prompt is, “I know what picture will go with that.” Ha! That’s when the fun really begins as I travel through my files until I find it.
    Writing and photography go hand in hand in my world. Yes, there is always a but…But, I also fill my creative glass with quilting, various forms of needlecraft, and recently I dusted off my leather tools that have been sitting idle for far too many years.

4. Reblogged this on ShiftnShake and commented:

Howdy! Kid and Pal are puttin’ the call out ta visual artists. If ya wanna be a featured guest at the Saddle Up Saloon next week or have yer paintings, drawings, photographs, etc. shown, contact them via averydede.1@gmail.com .

5. Liz H says:

Bonnie Sheila makes bonnie art! So crisp and beautiful. And I can’t wait to see what next week brings–I had a sense that the Ranch and surrounding lands are peopled with artists of many stripe and note!
    And Dede (my future DIL’s name, too), retirement is great! Finally time enough to paddle around in the things we used to only shish-boom over!

6. What beautiful craftwork. I’m in awe!

7. I’d bet Joanne the Geek (likes vampires and pirates!) would be happy to land an airship near the saloon! I can give you her website if you want, but she tends to respond to a lot of the Carrot Ranch prompts, too.

8. Oh! Also – QUILLING!? That was absolutely nuts! It looks really hard!

9. The quilling is gorgeous! It must take a steady hand and creative eye. Looks like Bonnie has been blessed with both.

Shalom,

Rochelle

Some arts are divinely fabricated 😉
    I went and visited the quiller and even left her a haiku about her ‘koi’ usage.

I’ve played with some other crafty stuff too. Polymer clay and crocheting one of a kind scarves. I did some blankets for family but that’s a lengthy project!

You might find me under the Poetree at the Saloon takin’ in a gentle breeze crocheting away… Gotta get some relief from the humidity now that summers here – at least that’s what the lightning bugs say 😀

• Sorry that I haven’t responded. I’m in the process of learning how to navigate WordPress. D. Avery is a good tutor and has helped. I’m starting to fell as though I’m a slow learner!!!

• Jules says:

If I can help… though I am also technically challenged 😉 No worries ~ Real life comes first.

I just wish I had some ‘help’ close at hand. Most of what I’ve figured out over the last 8-10 years has been on my own. And in my opinion (at least some of) the changes haven’t helped.

Slow can be good. Just be patient with yourself. 😀

• Glad yer takin’ advantage a the shade a thet there tree, thet’s a real givin’ tree. Thet was a fine quill’ku ya spun over ta Crescents and coils.

11. […] I would like ta hop on over there! Why here’s another artist come back fer more. It’s the quiller, Bonnie Sheila from Crescents & Coils. What are ya showin’ […]

12. […] settin’ on yer ass jist a’whittlin’ when yer s’posed ta be gittin’ the Saloon ready fer thet quiller. She’s gonna have a re-tirin’ shindig fer D. […]

Comments are closed.

Bill Engleson, Columnist

Ann Edall-Robson, Columnist

Susan Sleggs, Columnist

Norah Colvin, Columnist

Sherri Matthews, Columnist

Ruchira Khanna, Columnist

“A delightful story of a conventional Delhi girl who finds herself in the eye of a storm, ‘Bowled but Not Out’ brings out a whirlwind of emotions through its pages.”

Cee’s Listing