Plans are underway for the next Flash Fiction Rodeo at Carrot Ranch! Competition happens every Wednesday during October. You’ll have one week to compete in each one. There are five contests and five first-place prizes of $25.
Here’s the official 2018 Rodeo Playlist to get you in the mood.
Now for the lineup. We’ll be introducing each leader, their contest and judges every Tuesday up until the Rodeo kicks off on October 1.
Rodeo #2: Memoir
Led by Irene Waters and her judges: Angie Oakley and Helen Stromquist.
Hang on, writers…there’s more…!
The TUFFest Ride will qualify five writers to compete in October. Lead buckaroo Charli Mills is joined by creativity coach, Cynthia Drake, and poet and book publisher, Laura Smyth. If you think you have the chops to take on the TUFF Challenge, here’s what you’ll have to do:
- In September, writers will have five chances to enter a 24-hour free-write (September 1, 7, 13, 19, 25). You only have to enter once to qualify. Free-write will be 297 words (that’s three 99-word flash fictions).
- October 1: Writers tune into a live video posted at Carrot Ranch Facebook Page for the announcement of who will be selected the Fab Five from the September entries. These five writers will have five days to do a new free-write.
- October 8: The Fab Five tune into a live video for a twist to a 99-word challenge to rewrite their free-write. They will have five days to write.
- October 15: The Fab Five tune into a live video for a twist to a 59-word challenge to rewrite their 99-word story. They will have five days to write.
- October 22: The Fab Five tune into a live video for a twist to a 9-word challenge to rewrite their 59-word story. They will have five days to write.
- October 29: The Fab Five tune into a live video to find out which three advances. The remaining three contestants will have 24 hours to write a final 495-word story from their TUFF exhibition.
- November 2: First, second and third place announced. All five contestants will win a prize (yet to be determined, based on sponsors).
Set your watches to New York City and watch for the 24-Hour TUFF Free-Writes at CarrotRanch.com/blog between 12:00 a.m.-11:59 p.m. on these dates:
- September 1, 2018 (12:00 am – 11:59 pm)
- September 7, 2018 (12:00 am – 11:59 pm)
- September 13, 2018 (12:00 am – 11:59 pm)
- September 19, 2018 (12:00 am – 11:59 pm)
- September 25, 2018 (12:00 am – 11:59 pm)
You must enter at least once to qualify for one of the Fab Five slots to compete in The TUFFest Ride in October. You can enter more than once. Free-write must include the prompt that is revealed each date and be less than 300 words.
Carrot Ranch would like to thank the Sponsors of this event for keeping the contest free to all entrants:
If you are interested in sponsoring the 2018 Flash Fiction Rodeo, contact Charli Mills.